Build belonging and connectedness in your team
People bring their human selves to work. Without exception, everybody wants to belong, fit in, feel accepted and connected to something outside ourselves. A sense of belonging is a fundamental human need.
When people don’t have a sense of belonging, they do not perform at their best. While it is true individuals have to be responsible for managing their own sense of belonging, it is also true that a leader’s behaviors have significant influence over an individual’s sense of belonging.
Leaders often expect new team members to figure it out on their own. New team members do just that—through their own lenses and filters. Chances are high new team members won’t quite be aligned with the leader or the team because they are working from pictures they made up instead of pictures shared by the leader and their team.
Consider these simple ways to build belonging and connectedness with your team.
- Ask your team members how they are doing. How connected do they feel? What supports that connection? What gets in the way?
- Dig into the responses to better understand what the person is really saying.
- Don’t settle for the one-word responses of fine, busy or overwhelmed.
- Ask your team members individually what they think are the team’s purpose and goals. Chances are you will find almost as many different pictures as you have members on your team.
- Work with the team to create a more unified picture.
Would your employees agree with these statements?
- My opinions are not valued.
- I don’t understand my team’s purpose, strategy and goals.
- I don't understand the unwritten rules of my team.
- I'm not given important projects.
- I'm not included on decisions that affect my work.
Often the issue is not the person or their performance; it’s their connection to the team.
Learn more about team optimization
Choose an Unrivaled Leadership Development Experience (Article)
The BB&T Leadership Institute provides an unrivaled leadership development experience, thanks to its psychology-based programs and luxurious campus.
Is Your Company Growing Faster Than You Can Handle? (Article)
Fast-growing companies often face hurdles. Learn how better business leadership can help overcome them and sustain business growth.
Change Management 101 (Article)
Learn how to master change management and ensure your change initiatives succeed despite employee resistance.
How to Leave Your Business for a Week to Become a Better Leader (Article)
Learn 5 reasons why you should spend a week away from work to participate in a leadership development program at The BB&T Leadership Institute.
7 Reasons to Ask Your Company to Pay for Leadership Training (Article)
The list of leadership training benefits is long. Learn how to convince your company to pay for the costs of it and other professional development programs.
Learn about Leadership Training for School Principals (Article)
Data from public school principals and their colleagues proves that the Mastering Leadership Dynamics for Educational Leaders program produces concrete results.
Take the lead. Talk with us today.
Let's discuss your specific goals and needs.