Build belonging and connectedness in your team
People bring their human selves to work. Without exception, everybody wants to belong, fit in, feel accepted and connected to something outside ourselves. A sense of belonging is a fundamental human need.
When people don’t have a sense of belonging, they do not perform at their best. While it is true individuals have to be responsible for managing their own sense of belonging, it is also true that a leader’s behaviors have significant influence over an individual’s sense of belonging.
Leaders often expect new team members to figure it out on their own. New team members do just that—through their own lenses and filters. Chances are high new team members won’t quite be aligned with the leader or the team because they are working from pictures they made up instead of pictures shared by the leader and their team.
Consider these simple ways to build belonging and connectedness with your team.
- Ask your team members how they are doing. How connected do they feel? What supports that connection? What gets in the way?
- Dig into the responses to better understand what the person is really saying.
- Don’t settle for the one-word responses of fine, busy or overwhelmed.
- Ask your team members individually what they think are the team’s purpose and goals. Chances are you will find almost as many different pictures as you have members on your team.
- Work with the team to create a more unified picture.
Would your employees agree with these statements?
- My opinions are not valued.
- I don’t understand my team’s purpose, strategy and goals.
- I don't understand the unwritten rules of my team.
- I'm not given important projects.
- I'm not included on decisions that affect my work.
Often the issue is not the person or their performance; it’s their connection to the team.
Learn more about team optimization
9 Crisis Leadership Ideas for Challenging Times (Article)
Read about 9 crisis leadership ideas that can help you learn how to lead your organization during a calamity like the coronavirus pandemic.
Influencing Psychological Safety In the Workplace (Article)
Discover how you can influence your team to feel safer in the work place, thus inspiring them to be more innovative, creative and engaged.
9 Ways to Create a Positive Limbic System Boost (Article)
Learn 9 ways effective leaders can generate positive emotions for themselves and their employees.
How to Build and Manage Work Relationships During Conflicts (Article)
Learn business leaders’ secrets of building and managing work relationships during times of conflict.
Middle Managers, Need Help? (Article)
Discovering Leadership Dynamics teaches mid-level managers self-awareness and important skills such as how to communicate more effectively.
Do You Understand Leadership Purpose? Overcoming Misconceptions (Article)
Discover the prominent misconceptions about leadership purpose and how you can develop your own leadership purpose statement.
Take the lead. Talk with us today.
Let's discuss your specific goals and needs.